Strategies of Communication on Climate Change

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

IPCC: playing the climate roulette

The publication of the latest report by the IPCC has generated plenty of the usual unscientific denialist criticism. But also some serious criticism on the fact that the report is not effective as a way of communicating the urgency of the climate problem. Here is an example; an excerpt from an article on The Oil Crash, blog, in Spanish)

by Carlos de Castro (translation from Spanish by Ugo Bardi)

We are playing Russian roulette and science is inviting us, unintentionally, to play it. If I see a fire in the building where I live and I run inside to alert my neighbors screaming, "Fire! Fire"", my neighbors are not hoping that someone should provide a demonstration with a 90% probability that I am a reliable guy. In addition, if they are told that I tell the truth only 10% of the times, would they still continue sitting and watching TV?

Read the whole article

1 comment:

  1. Excellent article / post. What is encouraging is that the scientific community and scientists are finally learning to work like ants. What is not encouraging is that the likely effects of breaching various tipping points are not being taken into account ex ante when making the slightly longer term projections. My guess is that ant colonies have probably figured out how to make medium term forecasts which take into account at least the likelihood of the occurrence of events which haven't happened yet. Eventually humans may well catch up to ants. (and bees and lots of other far more intelligent species in which the equivalent of their "mainstream media" or "communications networks" and the "political institutions" that control them ....maybe the queen bee?)....probably actually work as they should to better ensure collective survival. Whereas -unlike bees and ants- humans seem to have adopted the idea of "no money no honey" excessively and everyone has become some sort of extremely clever prostitute.